Whistleblowers and whistleblower attorneys have helped the federal government combat Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Fraud by suppliers through whistleblower lawsuits filed under the civil False Claims Act.
Under Medicare regulations, DME is defined as equipment that:
(a) can withstand repeated use;
(b) is primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose;
(c) generally is not useful to a person in the absence of an illness or injury; and
(d) is appropriate for use in the home.
Medicare Part B normally pays for DME. However, Medicare Part B typically will only cover 80% of the DME. The other 20%, known as the patient’s copayment amount, must be paid by the Medicare patient unless an exemption applies.
Below are some examples of Durable Medical Equipment Fraud. If you would like to speak with a whistleblower attorney about a potential Durable Medical Equipment Fraud lawsuit under the federal False Claims Act, please contact the Law Offices of Ross M. Wolfe for a free consultation.
- Billing Medicare for Orders of DME Supplies Never Authorized by Government Beneficiaries
- Failing to Reimburse Medicare or Medicaid for Returned DME Supplies
- Routine Waiver of Medicare Part B Copayment amounts for DME Supplies
- Unsolicited Marketing of DME Supplies
No Fees Without Recovery
Ross M. Wolfe and the Weiser Law Firm litigate whistleblower lawsuits on a contingent fee basis, so whistleblowers do not pay attorneys’ fees or court costs unless there is a recovery.
Please contact if you would like to speak with a whistleblower attorney for more information about the whistleblower process, Durable Medical Equipment Fraud or to schedule a confidential free consultation to discuss your potential case.